A range of articles on male feminists, men supporting feminism, and so on have appeared in recent years. These populist articles have recurring themes regarding what men should do. Men should:
- Start with ourselves. Do the personal work of change. Assume that we’re part of the problem.
- Recognise and challenge institutionalised sexism and male privilege.
- Affirm and support women’s leadership.
- Listen to what women have to say.
- Educate ourselves regarding feminism.
- Avoid patriarchal practices in our support for feminism.
- Focus our efforts on challenging other men.
- Respect spaces which are women-only.
- Be accountable for our mistakes.
- Do the activist work.
- Hold each other to account.
- The XY collection of pieces on what men can do about sexism and violence against women, here: http://www.xyonline.net/content/what-men-can-do-stop-sexism-and-male-violence
- This list of scholarly / academic writing on men, feminism, and gender equality: http://www.xyonline.net/content/28-men-feminism-and-gender-equality
These writings also identify typical problems in men’s relations to feminism. These include patterns where men:
- Are self-congratulory
- Use the feminist label to get sexual attention from women
- Have a commitment to feminism which vanishes when they are rejected by women
- Expect women to do the work of educating them
- Show a support for gender equality which is based entirely in, and stops with, support for the women and girls in their own lives
- And so on.
Below, we have collected some of these recent articles, in PDF. Also see the following online pieces:
- Aronowitz, Meet the woke misogynist March 13 2017;
- Bates, Young, male and feminist 2015;
- Bell, Men, Quit Being Freaked by Feminism and Join its Male Allies Oct 18 2015;
- Berlatsky, A Short History of Male Feminism June 12 2014;
- Berlatsky, Can Men Really Be Feminists June 5 2014;
- Ditum, The problem with men participating in feminism Oct 26 2015;
- I’m Suspicious of Male “Feminists” — And You Should Be Too — Medium;
- Gilmore, When men claim to be feminists just to abuse women March 15 2017
- Gordon-Levitt, So you want to be a male feminist Oct 21 2014;
- Hamad, Men who want to lead the fight for women's rights April 14 2015;
- Jones, My 'crisis of masculinity' and how feminism set me free May 20 2013;
- Moore, Beware the Self-Proclaimed Male Feminist Dec 2015;
- O'Malley, Harris, What's really wrong with 'nice guys' Jan 6 2015;
- Ratchford, Sarah, On Feminism A How-to Guide for Dudes June 13 2014;
- Reid, Why is the bar for male feminism set so painfully low 2017;
- Strudwick, In Defence Of Prancing, Effeminate Men 2015;
- Serrano, 11 Simple Things Men Can Do for Feminism, April 6 2017;
- Spence, Men - accept that feminism isn't about you 2014.
The articles offer rich, diverse, humourous, and confronting accounts of men's roles in and for feminism. Suggestions for further inclusions are most welcome.