A range of articles on male feminists, men supporting feminism, and so on have appeared in recent years. These populist articles have recurring themes regarding what men should do. Men should:
- Start with ourselves. Do the personal work of change. Assume that we’re part of the problem.
- Recognise and challenge institutionalised sexism and male privilege.
- Affirm and support women’s leadership.
- Listen to what women have to say.
- Educate ourselves regarding feminism.
- Avoid patriarchal practices in our support for feminism.
- Focus our efforts on challenging other men.
- Respect spaces which are women-only.
- Be accountable for our mistakes.
- Do the activist work.
- Hold each other to account.
- The XY collection of pieces on what men can do about sexism and violence against women, here: http://www.xyonline.net/content/what-men-can-do-stop-sexism-and-male-violence
- This list of scholarly / academic writing on men, feminism, and gender equality: http://www.xyonline.net/content/28-men-feminism-and-gender-equality
These writings also identify typical problems in men’s relations to feminism. These include patterns where men:
- Are self-congratulory
- Use the feminist label to get sexual attention from women
- Have a commitment to feminism which vanishes when they are rejected by women
- Expect women to do the work of educating them
- Show a support for gender equality which is based entirely in, and stops with, support for the women and girls in their own lives
- And so on.
Below, we have collected some of these recent articles, in PDF. Also see the following online pieces:
- Aronowitz, Meet the woke misogynist March 13 2017;
- Bates, Young, male and feminist 2015;
- Bell, Men, Quit Being Freaked by Feminism and Join its Male Allies Oct 18 2015;
- Berlatsky, A Short History of Male Feminism June 12 2014;
- Berlatsky, Can Men Really Be Feminists June 5 2014;
- Ditum, The problem with men participating in feminism Oct 26 2015;
- I’m Suspicious of Male “Feminists” — And You Should Be Too — Medium;
- Flood, Can men be feminists?, 2001
- Gillard, Gender equality is not a ‘women’s issue’ – it’s good for men too, 2019
- Gilmore, When men claim to be feminists just to abuse women March 15 2017
- Gordon-Levitt, So you want to be a male feminist Oct 21 2014;
- Hamad, Men who want to lead the fight for women's rights April 14 2015;
- Jones, My 'crisis of masculinity' and how feminism set me free May 20 2013;
- Moore, Beware the Self-Proclaimed Male Feminist Dec 2015;
- O'Malley, Harris, What's really wrong with 'nice guys' Jan 6 2015;
- Ratchford, Sarah, On Feminism A How-to Guide for Dudes June 13 2014;
- Reid, Why is the bar for male feminism set so painfully low 2017;
- Strudwick, In Defence Of Prancing, Effeminate Men 2015;
- Serrano, 11 Simple Things Men Can Do for Feminism, April 6 2017;
- Spence, Men - accept that feminism isn't about you 2014.
- Thorpe, 5 Misconceptions About Male Feminists That Need To Go, 2016
The articles offer rich, diverse, humourous, and confronting accounts of men's roles in and for feminism. Suggestions for further inclusions are most welcome.