Relevant to everyone interested in preventing men’s violence against women, a report about how men can align with the #MeToo movement is freely available.
Written for White Ribbon New Zealand, this recent report provides understanding of:
- the development of the #MeToo movement,
- terms like ‘rape culture’ and ‘toxic masculinity’ which have become more common,
- different responses to #MeToo, including from violence prevention campaigns,
- the movement’s impact, including on the current prevention environment, and
- men’s awareness and responses to #MeToo.
The report focuses on #MeToo's calls on men to: transform their masculine identities and behaviour; and to listen to and believe women; reflect on their own behaviour; and to disrupt other men. This is discussed in detail. These positive actions can be incorporated into any prevention work.
The report argues that the next development of #MeToo is for violence prevention campaigns to build on the heightened public awareness to do more to promote the behaviour #MeToo has called for, especially for men. Useful direction is offered.
Please download the report from https://whiteribbon.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Report-on-White-Ribbon-aligning-with-Me-Too-Movement-24072018.pdf
While this report frames up White Ribbon NZ’s 2018 campaign, it also explains how White Ribbon’s Respectful Relationships campaign already aligns with #MeToo.
There will be more about White Ribbon’s next campaign in November 2018 at https://whiteribbon.org.nz/, where the current respectful relationships resources and messages are available now.