Donald Trump's election to the US presidency, and his behaviour before and after, have prompted considerable discussion about masculinity, gender, and violence against women. Here, we have collected some valuable examples of this commentary.
Please see below for selected items in PDF. Also see the online pieces below. Further suggestions are welcome.
- Adams, Trump, Trudeau and the patriarchy, May 27 2017;
- Chadwick, Predator In Chief President Trump And The Glorification Of Sexual Violence, Nov 30 2016;
- Chira, Trump's Vision of Manhood, 2016;
- Conroy, "The Emperor Has No Balls": Virility, Masculinity, and the American Presidency, Sept 5 2016
- Filipovic, What Donald Trump Thinks It Takes to Be a Man, Nov 2 2017.
- Harper, Many men talk like Donald Trump in private And only other men can stop them, Oct 8 2016;
- Marche, What are men to do in the age of Trump, Feb 3 2017;
- Moore, Patriarchy is the sea in which Trump and his sharks gather, Jan 26 2017;
- Orenstein, How to Be a Man in the Age of Trump, Oct 15 2016;
- Saletan, The More Trump Hates, the More America Rejects His Hatred, Jan 26 2017;
- Smith, Presidential Elections Are Always a Referendum on American Masculinity, Dec. 2 2016;
- Toure, Donald Trump Is the Personification of Toxic Masculinity, 2017;
- Wade, The Big Picture: Confronting Manhood after Trump, Oct. 26 2017
Also see this new bibliography of academic writing on men, masculinities, and politics.