#MeToo took off in late 2017 as a campaign, particularly on social media, about the widespread prevalence of men's sexual assault and harassment of women, especially in the workplace. There are a range of valuable feminist commentaries on the campaign and the wider issues. Some of these are listed below.
UPDATE: After Jaymes Todd's rape and murder of Eurydice Dixon, in Melbourne (Australia) on June 12 2018, various feminist commentators have written about how police responded to this, community attitudes to men's violence against women, men's roles in prevention, and so on. I have listed some valuable pieces immediately below.
- Alcorn, Eurydice Dixon - how one woman's death put focus on male rage in Australia
- Badge, Eurydice Dixon murder - not all men are violent, but all men can prevent violence
- Fileborn, 'Stay safe': why women are enraged by advice to steer clear of violent men
- Ford, Don't let Eurydice Dixon's death be a cautionary tale
- Ford, The 'not all men' excuse is absurd
- Gbla, Let's make space for the stories of all women
- Maltzahn, This is what police should say after an act of gendered violence
- Price, For Eurydice's sake we need to do more than go to vigils
Feminist commentaries on #MeToo:
- Barr, #MeToo is important, but the war on women is a far, far bigger deal
- Cox, #MeToo is not enough: it has yet to shift the power imbalances that would bring about gender equality
- Da Silva, Does hashtag activism like #MeToo have the power to end rape culture?
- Fallon, The Fake Feminism Of The #MeToo Backlash
- Feminist Current, 14 ways men can respond productively to #MeToo
- Fessler, Men paralyzed by MeToo Here's why you need to speak up and how
- Filipovic, The poorly reported Aziz Ansari exposé was a missed opportunity
- Giese, In the age of MeToo how do we talk to our young men about sex and consent
- Jensen, Radical feminism is the only solution to men’s ongoing ‘sexual misconduct’
- Kingsolver, #MeToo isn’t enough. Now women need to get ugly
- Lewis, The Harvey Weinstein allegations are monstrous. But it’s not just monsters who harass women
- Maas, This Movement Will End if Men Stay Silent
- Malik, Now sexual harassment is a campaign against men? Get real
- María and Yellesetty, Can #MeToo lead to a new "normal"?
- Megarry, Why #metoo is an impoverished form of feminist activism, unlikely to spark social change
- Murphy, Yes, you too
- Murphy, #MeToo has been a bold demonstration of the reality of male violence against women, but what next?
- Oluo, In The Midst Of MeToo What Type Of Man Do You Want To Be
- Penny, The Consent of the (Un)governed
- Penny, We’re Not Done Here: How the MeToo movement became a feminist sexual revolution
- Proulx, Pepper, and Schulten, The Reckoning: Teaching About the #MeToo Moment and Sexual Harassment With Resources From The New York Times
- Rowe, Is #MeToo 'impoverished' feminism?
- Saner, Women and men are speaking out about abuse – is this the end of the patriarchy?
- Schulte, The myth of the "#MeToo panic"
- Solemani, The Aziz Ansari furore isn't the end of #MeToo. It's just the start
- Solnit, Rebecca Solnit on the MeToo Backlash
- Spargo-Ryan, Their Grotesque Indifference
- Valenti, So men are afraid after #MeToo? Think about what it's like for women
- Van Badham, Catherine Deneuve, let me explain why #metoo is nothing like a witch-hunt
- Whittier, Activism against Sexual Violence is Central to a New Women’s Movement
- Wolf, The voices of Weinstein’s accusers have torn the fabric of patriarchy
For discussion of the positive roles men can play in preventing and reducing sexual harassment and other forms of violence against women, see reports such as Men Speak Up and XY's collection of guides and discussions on the action men can take. For scholarship and reports on violence against women, see the various resources available on XY, listed e.g. in this 'walking tour' of XY's content.
Also see the virtual dialogue “Roles and responsibilities of men and boys in response to #MeToo”, organised by the MenEngage Alliance Global Secretariat. A summary of the discussion is available here.