How can women, and men, raise feminist sons? How, for example, can mothers and fathers encourage their sons to grow up to respect girls and women? In the PDF pieces at the bottom of this page, we have collected some recent and accessible discussions of raising boys.
Also see the bibiography of works here: http://www.xyonline.net/content/ii-raising-sons-raising-boys. And these online pieces:
- Arsenault, Boys Will Be the Boys We Teach Them to Be, April 28 2016;
- Gordon, On parenting and rape culture, April 15 2014;
- Hatvany, I Taught My Son How Not to Be a Rapist April 28 2017;
- Juschka, How to raise kids who believe in gender equality, Feb. 11 2015;
- Levkoff, How To Raise Boys, Not Predators, Nov 11 2017
- Mackay, Raising Boys/Children: The Feminist Way – Or: Some ideas for raising children without gender constraints (2018);
- Miller, How to Raise a Feminist Son June 1 2017;
- Moyer, How to stop sexism and raise a son who respects women Nov 6 2017
- Moyer, Ending Sexual Violence by Raising Better Boys, Oct 8 2018
- Rogers, How Feminist Mothers Can Raise Feminist Sons;
- Sanchez, The case for raising feminist boys 2014;
- Shroeder, 18 Easy Ways to Raise Feminist Boys Mar 4 2016.
There are great campaigns on raising boys, and parenting, in gender-equitable and anti-sexist ways. See e.g;
- Because Why (Our Watch, 2018);
- Raising ethical sons: 6 handy tip sheets from the Full Stop Foundation on talking with your sons about gender stereotypes, consent, and challenging sexism;
- Level Playground: For early childhood educators, parents and caregivers, and aims to challenge rigid gender stereotypes and gender norms in their everyday interactions with young children (Eastern Domestic Violence Service (EDVOS, Australia)
Other materials on XY include:
- Raising boys into non-violent men, by Michael Flood;
- White Ribbon NZ's new toolbox for fathers, to support them developing their son’s respectful sexual behaviour: http://www.xyonline.net/content/white-ribbon-nzs-new-toolbox-fathers-support-them-developing-their-son%E2%80%99s-respectful-sexual-b
Additions and suggestions are most welcome.