What is sexual harassment? What are its character, causes, and consequences? Here are some key readings, particularly recent academic overviews.
The pieces are listed below, and downloadable in full text.
- McDonald, P. (2012). Workplace sexual harassment 30 years on: a review of the literature. International Journal of Management Reviews, 14(1), 1-17.
- Maass, A., Cadinu, M., & Galdi, S. (2013). Sexual harassment: Motivations and consequences. In Michelle K. Ryan and Nyla R. Branscombe (eds.), The Sage Handbook of Gender and Psychology, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage (pp. 341-358).
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. (2018). Sexual Harassment of Women: Climate, Culture, and Consequences in Academic Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. doi: https://doi.org/10.17226/24994.
- O’Leary-Kelly, A. M., L. Bowes-Sperry, et al. (2009). Sexual Harassment at Work: A Decade (Plus) of Progress. Journal of Management 35(3): 503-536.
- Pina, A., & Gannon, T. A. (2012). An overview of the literature on antecedents, perceptions and behavioural consequences of sexual harassment. Journal of Sexual Aggression, 18(2), 209-232.
- Pina, A., Gannon, T.A. & Saunders, B. (2009) An overview of the literature on sexual harassment: perpetrator, theory and treatment issues. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 14(2): 126-138.
- Uggen, Christopher, and Amy Blackstone. (2004). Sexual Harassment as a Gendered Expression of Power. American Sociological Review, Feb.Vol.69, Iss. 1.
- Willness, C.R., Steel, P. & Lee, K. (2007) A meta-analysis of the antecedents and consequences of workplace sexual harassment. Personnel Psychology, 60, 127-162.
Also see other XY materials, such as:
- This list of academic references on sexual harassment: http://xyonline.net/books/bibliography/27-violence-and-responses-violence/bibliography-3
- This collection of feminist commentaries on #MeToo and campaigns against sexual harassment: https://xyonline.net/blogs/4/metoo-feminist-commentaries
- This collection of key readings on men's violence against women: http://xyonline.net/content/mens-violence-against-women-some-key-readings-and-reports
- This collection on debates over domestic violence and gender: http://www.xyonline.net/content/domestic-violence-and-gender-xy-collection.