What are the links between guns, violence, and masculinity? In the wake of yet another mass shooting in the USA, it is long past time to highlight how gun violence is structured in powerful ways by traditional, patriarchal masculinities. In this XY collection, we have brought together a range of commentaries on guns, violence, and masculinity. Further inclusions are most welcome.
Please see below for the articles and reports, in PDF.
Also see these online pieces:
- Devega, The plague of angry white men: How racism gun culture and toxic masculinity are poisoning America (2015);
- Khadaroo and Jonsson, Many school shooters, one common factor - masculinity (2015);
- Hamblin, Toxic Masculinity and Murder (2016);
- Siddiquee, The Truth About The Men Who Riot And Kill (2016);
- Walsh, The American Impulse to Equate Guns With Freedom and Masculinity With Violence Is Killing Us (2017);
- Goodman and Moynihan, Mass Shootings and Domestic Violence (2017);
- Chemaly, America's Mass Shooting Problem Is a Domestic Violence Problem (2017);
- Amonett, We will never address gun violence if we dont address the root of the problem - masculinity.